Reading Comprehension is: Deriving meaning from print. It requires processing text, understanding its meaning and integrating the information with what the student already knows.
A student may be struggling in this area if:
- The student scores low in the areas of comprehension on I-Ready or another benchmarking assessment.
- The student may be able to read the words, but struggles with understanding the meaning.
- The student has difficulty remembering what he/she has read.
- The student has difficulty correctly answering questions about the material.
- When reading aloud, the words are read with no feeling, change of tone, logical phrasing, rhythm or pace.
- The student skips words or jumps ahead when reading.
- The student has difficulty staying focused while reading.
- The student has deficits in vocabulary knowledge.